Incarnate Word Track and Field Preview
2013 Season – by Don Garrett
Incarnate Word came very close to a breakthrough season in 2012, yet fell short at the conference meet with 7th place finishes for both its men’s and women’s team. The women were just points out of 4th place and the loss of just a few key athletes probably robbed them of finishing in the top half of the conference.
WOMEN - lost only 2 point scorers from the 2012 point scorers and one only scored on their sprint relay. Incarnate Word had a great recruiting class, among the best in the LSC, adding lots of depth and some kids who will impact the team immediately. The Cardinals outlook as they move to D-I appears to be quite good.
Lost – Jane Vosteen finished 2nd in the HJ last year; Lauren Pratt ran on the sprint relay that finished 3rd in 2012; Amanda Bishop had a great XC season in 2011, gaining newcomer of the year in the LSC after finishing 5th at the LSC meet, yet she did not run after a few indoor meets and is no longer on the roster – should have been big contributor; Bailey Loyd – a contributor in the 2010-11 season, she sustained a series of injuries that scuttled the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons.
Key returnees – a solid core of returnees, with 83% of the 2012 points from the LSC meet returning
· Stephanie Glatt – Sr - at the LSC meet, she was 7th in the steeplechase, 8th in the 5,000, then came back to run extremely well in the LSC this past fall, leading UIW with a 4th place finish
· Elvira Gonzales – Jr - after finishing 2nd in the LSC 400 hurdles in the 2011 (along with 7th in the 100 hurdles and 9th in the long jump), she was injured and missed the 2012 season. Should be a huge addition for 2013.
· Brittney Holcombe – Soph - 8th in the LSC pole vault
· Emma Jewell – Soph - after a strong 2011 XC campaign, she established herself as one of the top distance freshmen in the LSC with a 5th place finish in the LSC steeple, plus finishing 15th in the 5K
· Stephanie Nelson – Soph - 5th in the LSC long jump, she also helps in the sprints with a 13th place in the 100
· Zariah Noyola – Soph - tied for 3rd in the HJ, she was also close to scoring in the 400 hurdles (10th) and 100 hurdles (11th)
· Lilya Piskunova – Sr - 7th in the heptathlon and 8th in the javelin at the LSC outdoor meet
· Marissa Shinsky – Jr - tied for 3rd in the LSC outdoor high jump, also 2nd in the LSC indoor invitational last year
· Shaneve Swift – Jr - one of the premier sprinters in the LSC, finishing 2nd in the 400, 4th in the 200, 8th in the 100 and anchoring both the 4x100 and 4x400 for UIW
Other returnees who could help: UIW had a large number of “almost scored” athletes, who include: Daniele Anane-Bedakoh – a Canadian transfer from Texas State who only finished 20th in the 100 last year, yet is already a provisional national qualifier indoors this year in the sprints; Jacqueline Arnold – 19th in the 800; Irma Garza – 10th in the 800 and 11th in the 1500, then was all-LSC in XC (10th place) this past fall; Alyson Gonzales – 9th in the 10K; Ebony Moore – 18th in the long jump and 200; Hannah Peterson – 11th in the heptathlon; Lawanda Sanders – 18th in the 400.
Newcomers – Coach Derek Riedel had a banner year recruiting for his women’s team. Teamed up with a load of talented sophomores, this team looks strong for the next 2-3 years.
· Christian “Rainy” Castaneda – fr from Laredo United South – won Dist 29-5A 1600 and 3200
· Candida Chairez – Fr from Del Rio – 3rd Dist 29-5A 1600
· Ekaete Eduhoukwa - Fr from Frisco Centennial – 4th in the 4A long jump
· Elizabeth Eduhoukwa – Fr from Frisco Centennial – in the Dist 9-4A meet, 5th long jump and 6th triple jump
· Lindsey Frost – Fr from Gregory Portland – won the Dist 30-4A 1600 and 3200
· Adriana “Ceci” Garcia – Fr from Laredo Alexander – 1st in the Dist 29-5A, she finished 5th in the Region IV-5A 800; then was all-LSC in XC this past fall with a 15th place (the top 15 finishers get all-conference)
· Whitney Handy – Fr from Cibolo Steele – 5th in the 5A 4x100 relay, she also won the Dist 25-5A 100 hurdles
· Crysta Hollins – Fr from Rockwall – 5th in the Dist 10-4A 100 hurdles
· Claudia Ramirez – Fr from Del Rio – in the Dist 29-5A meet, 4th 3200 and 6th in the 1600
· Kaitlyn Savage – RS-Fr from Boerne Champion – 8th in the 4A 1600 in 2011, she redshirted in 2012, then was 18th in the LSC XC this past fall
· Marine Vaillant – Jr from France – found solid times for her – 2:16 in the 800 and 4:37 in the 1500, but had a relatively disappointing XC season, finishing 24th at the LSC meet
· Jasmine Waring – Fr from San Antonio Randolph – at the 2A state meet, ran on the victorious 4x100 and 4x200 relays, as well as winning the Dist 29-2A high jump
MEN – the Cardinals men took heavier losses from their 2012 team and did not fill as many holes with recruiting as they did on the women’s team. Still a reasonably competitive team.
Athletes lost from last year: almost 1/3 (31%) of last year’s production lost, including: Adrian Carrillo – 4th in the steeple; Leon Knights – 5th in the HJ; Kenneth Pryor – 6th in the HJ; Tobias Dreier – 8th 10K, 10th 5K; Lamar Edwards-Johnson, who ran on the 4x100 relay; Miles Thetford, who ran on the 4x400, plus Solomon Rotich, who only placed 19th in the 10K last year, but who was 7th in the 5K in 2011.
· Eduardo Alexander – So – 3rd LSC PV and 14th in the 400 hurdles
· Tommy Brown – Sr – 5th LSC 100
· Hilario Coronado – Sr – 8th in the LSC steeple and 9th in the 5K in 2011 – redshirted in 2012
· Chance Dziuk – Jr – 4th in the hammer throw
· Corey McDonnough – Sr – 7th LSC 400
Other returnees who could help: Chris Dewitt – So – 12th LSC 100, 13th 200; Matthew Harris – Soph - 9th LSC long jump and 15th 100; Will Havins – Jr - 10th decathlon; Alejandro Hernandez – Jr – 12th LSC 10K; Andrew Martinez – LSC 15th discus and javelin; Cody McDonnough – 17th LSC 400; Marcos Mora – So - 17th LSC 1500; Adan Narvaez – Jr – 12th triple jump, 16th 100; Michael Tate – 13th LSC HJ in 2011; Edward Williams – 11th LSC 110H.
Newcomers – a few kids who should provide some instant impact:
· Ernest Aguilar – Fr from Devine – 2nd Dist 27-3A shot put and discus
· Matthew Crockett – Fr from Floresville – won the Dist 30-4A 110 hurdles, 300 hurdles, long jump, triple jump, plus 3rd in the district high jump
· Frantz Goring – Fr from Marion – 4th in the 2A 200, plus he won the Dist 29-2A 400
· Caleb Gutierrez – Fr from New Braunfels – won the Dist 25-5A 3200
· Charles Hall – Fr from San Antonio St. Anthony’s – 2nd in the TAPPS 5A 300 hurdles
· Brandon Hernandez – Fr from San Antonio Central Catholic – 2nd TAPPS 5A 3200
· Michael Luevano – Fr from Boerne – 3rd in the Dist 26-3A 800 and 1600
· Javier Salas – Fr from San Antonio East Central – 9th 5A 3200 and also won the Dist 28-5A 1600
· Jacob Ulbricht – Fr from Smithson Valley – 5th 4A PV