Beginning today, we will begin a new daily series reviewing each team's 2008 season. Beginning with NSU and moving up to the top of the end of season LSC Scoop Power Rankings.
Coming into the 2008 season, not much was expected of NSU. They were coming off of a 3-7 season, just implemented a brand new coaching staff, and weren't expected to put up much of a fight.
While they did finish the season with a 1-10 record, they actually put up alot of fight against some teams they weren't expected to have a chance against. If you look at the heartbreaking endings to some of their games, you will see they could have EASILY had a much different outlook on the season:
- In week 3, they were beating MSU 3-0 with 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter before MSU returned a fumble 25 yards for a TD. Midwestern went on to win that game 7-3.
- 2 weeks later, they took ECU into Overtime in Ada, and lost on a blocked field goal that was returned for a touchdown.
- The very next week, they lost by 1 point to A&M-Commerce on a touchdown run by Terry Mayo with only 2:36 remaining. At one point in the 2nd quarter, NSU was actually winning this game 27-3.
- The NEXT week, they went to Weatherford and lost to Southwestern Oklahoma 17-16.
Looking into their team statistic rankings in the LSC, it is fairly easy to see what their main problems were:
- #12 Scoring Offense
- #11 Scoring Defense
- #12 Rushing Offense (67 ypg)
- #13 3rd Down Conversions (18%)
- #12 Turnover Margin (-5)
- #11 Red Zone Defense (80%)
- 3rd Fewest Penalties in the LSC
Strange Stat of the Year: NSU attempted 30 FG's this season, which was BY FAR the most attempts in the LSC (TSU was next with 19). However, they only hit 46% of their attempts on the year.
Standout Players of 2008 (Conference Rankings):
- DB Broderick Mondy - #6 in Tackles (90) - 1st Team LSC North - LSC DB of the Year
- WR Jarrett Byers - #6 Receptions per game (5.2) - 1st Team LSC North
- LB Terrance Gaston - #9 in Tackles (85) - 2nd Team LSC North
- LB Jon Evans - #21 in Tackles (71) and 11.5 Tackles for Loss - HM LSC North
- LB Nick Jones - # 7 in Sacks (6.5) and #3 in Tackles for Loss (18)
- DB Curtis Mayfield - #1 in Passes Defended (1.7 per game) and #1 in Interceptions (6) - 1st Team LSC North
- RB Prince McKinney - #7 in All-Purpose Yards per game (111) - 2nd Team LSC North RS
LSC Scoop Pre-Season Prediction:
Best Case Scenario: 5-6
"...With ECU and SWOSU, those are also possible wins. Tough to see NSU making any kind of a run this season."
Worst Case Scenario: 2-9
"...If they can't get some kind of production from one of the new QB's, it's going to be a mirror of last season. Passing game can't do anything, and everyone loads the box against the running game."
Actual Record: 1-10